MagicPacket is a free app for Windows and Windows Phone to start computers by Wake On LAN or Wake On WAN. More computers can be combined into groups to start them at once. The app uses modern features of mobile devices like NFC or the personal assistent Cortana (Windows Phone only) in order to make Wake On LAN as simple as possible.
I would be glad to receive feedback or any ideas for improvement. Simply rate the app in the Windows (Phone) app store. But you can also leave a comment on this article or even write an e-mail.
Start computers/groups with Wake On LAN/Wake On WAN
Computers can be started by Wake On LAN or Wake On WAN respectively. Therefor, a computer has to be added in the app. This is done with the plus button in the app’s main view.
Notes for adding a new computer
- Name: This will be the name of the computer. This name has to be unique among all computers (due to starting a computer by voice command).
- MAC address: The MAC address of the computer. Optional it can be entered with delimiter (‚:‘ or ‚-‚).
- Host (for Wake On WAN) or subnet broadcast IP: If the computer should be started by Wake On WAN, a host address can be specified. For private use, you can use a DynDNS service to reach your home network from the internet.
You can also enter a subnet broadcast IP here in order to wake computers which are running in another subnet. It is important that the network hardware used has to support so called subnet-directed broadcasting to use this feature. To find out the correct subnet broadcast IP, you can use this online tool: IP Calculator / IP Subnetting. Another great website regarding subnetting with much more informaton can be found here.
- Port (for Wake On WAN): When a host is specified, a port is also needed for Wake On WAN. Usually this is port 9, but this often depends on the specific configuration of the target network.
- Mode for Wake On LAN: This setting specifies the mode for Wake On LAN. These are the same options as you can find in the app settings. When a computer should use its own mode for Wake On LAN, this option overrides the general app settings.
- Shortcut URL: The shortcut URL is unique for every computer and represents a URL by which a computer can be started directly.
- Write NFC tag: With the according button in the app bar, an NFC tag can be written directly from within the app. With this NFC tag, a computer can be started directly (see Start computers/groups by NFC) by moving the device near this NFC tag.
Grouping of computers
More computers can be grouped in order to start them at once.
Notes for adding a new group:
- Name: A name for the group. This name has to be unique among all groups (due to starting a group by voice command).
- Shortcut URL: The shortcut URL is unique for every group and represents a URL by which a group can be started directly.
- Adding computers: Computers which have already be added in the app can be added to the group with the add button.
- Write NFC tag: As with computers, an NFC tag can be written for the group to start it directly by this NFC tag.
Start computers/groups by voice command (Windows Phone only)
MagicPacket uses Windows‘ personal assistent Cortana to start computers/groups by voice command. The following voice commands can be used:
MagicPacket [start|wake] computer|group name of the computer/group
- MagicPacket start computer Desktop: Starts the computer with the name Desktop
- MagicPacket group Home: Starts the group Home
Keep in mind that the computer/group to start has to be added in the app before it can be started by voice command.
Start computers/groups by NFC
Computers and groups can be started by an NFC tag (near field communication). Therefor you will need an NFC tag wich can be written from within the app. You only need a device which supports NFC and it has to be enabled in the device’s settings.
To write an NFC tag, just go into a computer’s/group’s settings and tap the button write NFC in the app bar. The app will wait for an NFC tag to be detected – just move your device near an NFC tag and tap the button Write NFC tag.
Now computers/groups can be started simply by moving the device near this NFC tag.
Start computers/groups by shortcut URL
Computers and groups can also be started by shortcut URL. This URL is shown on the computer’s/group’s settings. Copy this URL and use it to call MagicPacket directly starting the computer/group specified.
Pin computers/groups to start screen
To start computers or groups with only one tap, these can be added to the start screen. This is done with the flyout menu on a computer or group (simply tap and hold a computer/group) and tapping pin to start. Now another tile appears on the start screen. Simply tap this tile and the computer or group is started directly.
Synchronization of computers/groups
The computers and groups added in the app are synchronized betweend devices by using your Microsoft LiveID, i.e. computers/groups added on you Windows phone will also appear on you tablet PC after a short while.
The mode for Wake On LAN is specified in the app settings:
When the mode is set to Automatic, the Wake On LAN command being sent depends on the computer’s properties, i.e. first of all the Wake On LAN command is sent over the local network (because the MAC address of a computer is mandatory). If host and port are also specified for a computer, the command is also sent over the internet (Wake On WAN).
Wake On LAN
A Wake On LAN command is always sent over the local network only. Therefor, a WiFi connection has to be established.
Wake On WAN
A Wake On LAN command is always sent over the internet only (Wake On WAN). Therefor, host and port have to be specified on the computer to start.
The command is always sent over the local network and the inernet simultaneously. A WiFi connection has to be established and host/port of a computer have to be specified.
MagicPacket is avaibale for Windows and Windows Phone:
MagicPacket is currently available in English and German. If you want to support the development of the app, you can help translate the app into other languages. Just send me an e-mail for further details.
I would also be glad for any constructive critisism or ideas for improvement to make the app even better.
You can also support the app by rating it in the app store.